This is fairly advanced functionality, and isn't something you're likely to need to do unless you're a software developer, or unless a Support agent is directing you to do so. Proceed with caution.
Previous versions of MetaMask can be found here.
- Alternatively, use the URL
chrome://extensions/in your address bar
- Check "Developer mode" in the upper right-hand corner.
- At the top, click
- Navigate to your custom or previous version
- Change to your locale via
- Restart the browser and test the plugin in your locale
You now have the plugin, and can click 'inspect views: background plugin' to view its dev console.
Instructions for Firefox and Opera can be found here.