Advanced gas controls are an optional feature that gives you more control over the gas you pay in MetaMask. For more information on gas, see our guide.
The methods for turning on and using advanced gas controls vary depending on whether you're using MetaMask Extension or Mobile. Regardless, keep these details in mind:
- The gas limit
- The gas limit is the maximum amount of gas units you are willing to pay for in order to carry out a transaction or EVM operation.
- The max priority fee
- The max priority fee goes to the validator, and incentivizes them to prioritize your transaction.
- The max fee
- The max fee is the total, global amount paid for your transaction: base fee + priority fee.
Remember that gas you pay is not charged or collected by MetaMask, and not something we can control.
Click on your account icon, then find 'Advanced gas controls' under 'Advanced' in the settings menu:
Once you've flicked this switch, you'll see an icon above your gas details when you next attempt a transaction. This will likely read 'Low', 'Market, or 'Aggressive' depending on the last setting you used:
Clicking on this button will allow you to choose between one of these three options. These describe the amount of gas you're choosing to pay, and have these main implications:
- 'Low' allows you to wait a bit longer and save money if you choose.
- 'Market' reflects the current market rates for gas.
- 'Aggressive' enables you to be more forceful with your transaction, and have it completed as soon as possible.
MetaMask Mobile already has the ability to precisely configure gas built-in; you do not need to enable it in settings.
When you get to the final screen before sending your transaction, you will see an "Estimated gas fee". To the right, the fee will appear underlined in blue:
Click on the fee, and a menu will appear with a slider, and another option to click on "Advanced Options". When you do, this menu will open and you will have the opportunity to customize your gas fully: